Olvera is a charming town, surrounded by hills
covered with olive trees, from which is extracted one of best olive oils in Andalusia. In fact, in the last years it has achieved the "Denominación de Origen de la Sierra de Cádiz", an idea in which other nearby towns like Setenil, Algonodales, Alcala del Valle, Torre Al-haquime etc, participate.
The city of Cadiz is located around 139 kilometres north east of Olvera.
The Peñon de Zaframagón natural reserve is located in the municipality of Olvera.
Dominating the town is the Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de la Encarnación (the church of our Parish of Our Lady of the Incarnation), which is located next to the Moorish castle. The church was constructed in a neoclassic style, by the orders of the Duke of Osuña in 1822 (which created a debt with the Olvera township by not investing the taxes in the improvement of the town), on the foundations of a small gothic- mudéjar (Andalucian Moorish) style church.. The work was finished in 1843, culminating in one of the greatest churches of the province, with dimensions worthy of cathedral.
The Moorish castle was constructed at the end of 12th century and beginning of the 13th century, on the site of a strategic rock, which meant it was able to communicate with other nearby castles through signals (e.g. reflecting light with mirrors). Its structure was created deliberately to disadvantage enemy to the maximum.
The old town
Take a stroll around the Casco Antigüo (old town), which is located within the old Moorish walls of the town.
To walk its streets is to travel 700 years back, to when an older Olvera existed. The towns origins are evident here, narrow streets, strategic corners, old cottages, etc., exposing the visitor to the old
architecture of the Muslim town entwined with the modern.
The Plaza de Andalucia, also known as "La
Alameda" (tree lined area), is a wonderful spot, where there is a majestic stone fountain/waterfall constructed in 2004.
Above this is el Peñón del Sagrado Corazón de
Jesús (the Rock of the Sacred Heart of Jesus), a great rock garden full of ivy, flowers, birds and animals. The reason for its name is the Christ statue, with arms raised, on the highest part of the rock carved by Jose Even Navas, in 1929.
Places to visit
El Santuario de Nuestra Señora de Los Remedios
(the Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Remedies) is situated 2 km out of the town centre. It was constructed in the 18th century, in the Andalusian
style, on the foundations of a small hermitage.
It honours the patron saint of the locality, Nuestra Señora de Los Remedios, who is loved by the town of Olvera and many towns around, which are collectively known as “las cientos sierras” (the 100 mountain ranges).
El Monasterio de Caño Santos (Monastery of Saint Caño) is also located 7 km from Olvera; constructed in 1542. For many years it was the seat of the old patron of the city, the Holy Virgin of Caño. In 1835 the friars were expelled and the monastery confiscated and abandoned. After many years, when the building was all but lost, the council of Andalusia decided to restore it. Although the monument is within the
municipality of Olvera, this monastery is property of the city council of Alcala del Valle.
There is a good selection of restaurants and tapas bars in Olvera, and it is worth visiting the other local white villages of the area, to taste the diversity of cuisines in the region.
The climate in Olvera is predominantly Mediterranean, with generally hot and dry summers and mild winters. The area is considered a year round destination.